Tuesday, October 26, 2010

DVD of the Week: The Fourth Kind

Week Nine of my DVD of the Week Post is....


Alien Encounter of The First Kind: Sighting
Alien Encounter of The Second Kind: Evidence
Alien Encounter of The Third Kind: Contact

And Alien Encounters of The Fourth Kind.... Abduction.

So, before I watched the movie, with my friend Kayleah, I posted on Facebook "Opinions on The Fourth Kind, anyone?". Other than the one "like" I got, there were two comments, and they were partly opposite of one another. One friend of mine said that the movie is "scary as f$@!" and that she "couldn't walk out the door" after watching it. So, my thought was oh no, mixed with awesome, cause horror movies and I don't go way back. The other friend said the movie was "dumb but pretty creepy". Which I tried not to let get to me, cause most of the time I won't ask opinions on movies until after I've already seen it, or else I start worrying if the movie is going to be lame or not and that usually ends up ruining the movie for me. 

Well, this movie wasn't very dumb. I found the storyline to be quite interesting and intense. I absolutely LOVED how they did the whole split screen with the actor and "real person". That made the movie much cooler, and quite unique. But it was not scary at all, just EXTREMELY creepy. Near the end, my palms and feet were sweating, but there was not a single point in this film I actually jumped. Kayleah did though xD

"This film "purports to be based on actual events occurring in Nome, Alaska in 2000, in which Dr. Abigail Tyler(portrayed by Milla Jovovich, of the Resident Evil franchise) uses hypnosis to uncover memories from her patients of Alien abductions" (Wikipedia). But it was later found out to be untrue. Universal Pictures just did what was done with Paranormal Activity, make it seem like it is based on actual events to draw in a crown. Cause, in all honesty, before I Wikipediaed the film, I believed it actually happened, which made it even more creepier. So, Universal had the right idea.

4 comments:

  1. I think it stupid that they have to say its based on a true story to sell it. I story's a story

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but I'm sure it got more people into the theaters by doing that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THIS MOVIE. And you're so right. The split screen was reallllly awesome. I definitely thought it was real until I googled it. I was actually disappointed when I found out it was fake :(

    ReplyDelete