Monday, November 15, 2010

Nickleby, Nicholas

So...Nicholas Nickleby....this movie was just down right depressing. I'm usually okay with depressing films...as long as they have some sort of comedic relief for the audience. And yes, there was some comedic relief during the film....just NOT ENOUGH.

The only thing I absolutely LOVED about this film was the absolutely fantastic cast list. Around every turn there was an actor popping out of the cupboard(not literally...even though that'd be pretty cool) and me yelling "WHOA NO WAY!!" at the screen. The main actor who plays Nicholas was Charlie Hunnam...and him I'm not a big fan of. But then there's Anne Hathaway(I'm not even going to waste my time putting a film in parenthesis here because you're dumb if you don't know who Anne Hathaway is), Jim Broadbent(Horace Slughorn in the Harry Potter films), Nathan Lane (Snowbell in Stuart Little), Christopher Plummer (George von Trapp in The Sound of Music), Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler in X2), and Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter films). Now, put them all together and I am one happy ginger. :D

Now, on the depressing side. Within like five minutes, there is a dead bird. Just that should have gotten me to turn it off. But I wanted to see Anne Hathaway(even though she didn't make an appearance til about an hour and fifteen minutes into the film). Jim Broadbent is an absolutely amazing villainous character. He runs a school/orphanage place and beats the kids. It absolutely disgusted me watching this, but the moment where Nicholas Nickleby stole his whip and beat him with it made me very cheerful. :) Then my favorite character in the movie, Smike(portrayed by Jamie Bell), ends up dying :( :( :( WHY IS IT THAT MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IN A MOVIE ALWAYS DIES!?!?!?!?!?!? Then we later find out that Smike is the son of Christopher Plummer's character who is the main villian in the film. So, he kills himself. More depression. Ugh.

But all in all, the amazing cast makes up for the depression. I actually quite enjoyed this film. It recieves a B from me(haha...that rhymed).

1 comment: